Monday, May 7, 2007

Shaking a leg. Or lifting it.



There comes a time when a dog needs to get out in the main stream, to bark and be counted. As I approach the anniversary of my birth I think alot about who I am, what I want, and why I get breakfast and dinner, but no lunch.



It's time for me to make my mark on the world, and to be treated with a little more respect. Mostly I stay pretty close, I don't play in traffic, and I always lick my humans hands in the morning when she wakes up. I'm perfectly willing to lick her face, but she scrunches it up and mutters things about what else I've been licking lately, and generally behaves in an ungracious and undignified way about the entire thing.














Soon I'll be stepping out into the world of adults, to take my rightful place in the spotlight.
















But right now, I'd like to focus some attention on how to get some lunch around here!

3 comments:

Charlie Kelley-Church said...

So how does you mum make yogurt? Is there a recipe? I love yogurt and mom says I need it so there isn't so much silent but deadly smells.

C-K-C

The Jakester said...

Hey, Charlie, thanks for stopping by! Yep, it's so easy to make yogurt that even I know how to do it - I've watched sooooooooooooo many times!

you need to get some yogurt. I know, you're making yogurt. but to MAKE yogurt, you have to HAVE yogurt, humans don't seem to be able to function without it. Mom reads the label and tries to rule out everything except milk/milk products, and yeasts. This means no pectin, no flavorings.

It goes like this. Take a quart of milk, mix in 2 T of instant dry milk. Put it on the stove and heat it until a skin forms (180 degrees on her instant thermometer). Take it OFF the heat and let it cool some. She tests it on her wrist a lot, to get it to something she calls baby-bottle temp, but there's a lot of yelping before she gets there. So use the thermometer and aim for about 100 - no cooler than 95, no hotter than 115.

(don't forget, the skin has to be removed, and that means you should get to eat it, right? You gotta' be watching every minute!)

Wisk in a heaping tablespoon of yogurt, pour it in your containers (my mom makes 2 quarts at a time, and just puts it in 1 qt. plastic containers) and then.......... keep it cuddly warm. Mom won't let me help here, although I've offered. She just covers it lightly and puts it in her unheated oven, with the light turned on, and thats enough. You want to keep the temp between 90-115 so you don't kill the yeast.

3 hours later (or six or twelve if you have to go somewhere!) it's done! After 3 hours it doesn't get thicker, only more tart. Mom and I like it best like that, I'm not much for sour. But sometimes I've seen her make it in the morning, then we go to the dog park and run errands, and all that stuff, and it's still really really good!

Hope your mum makes you some, it's so much tastier than the stuff from the market!

The Jakester said...

oh yeh, sometimes mom runs out of dry milk and its still good - just runnier. mom says it's "european style" but I'm just a down-home california dog, so what would I know? And I can never figure her out - sometimes she uses fat free, sometimes 1%, sometimes 2%.

Don't you wonder, 2% of what? Humans are strange............