Sunday, May 13, 2007

Barking Good Yogurt

(Because ONE of MOI is NOT enuff!)

OK, I've gotten a couple of emails, so I'll post mom's yogurt recipe. I've watched pretty carefully and I know how she does it.

2 quarts of milk (she uses non-fat)
1/4 c instant dry milk powder (makes it thick and creamy)

Mix them together and heat them in a BIG pot (milk that starts to boil expands and goes over the edge FAST! be sure you stay out of the splash zone!) Heat to 180 degrees, or until the skin forms.

Cool to between 90 and 115 degrees, mix in about 1/4 cup of unflavored yogurt. (check the label, choose yogurt with active cultures, avoid pectin.)

Pour it out into containers, cover loosely, put in oven with just the light on. Cuddle a kitchen towel around them to help hold the heat in.

Wait 3-12 hours, take out of the oven, tighten lids, put in the fridge. After 3 hours it won't get thicker, just tangier. We like it best at 3 hours.

Don't forget to start a new batch before you use it all up!

Sometimes Mom puts coffee filters in a sieve, rests it over a bowl, and puts the yogurt in the sieve to drain (in the fridge). This separates out the whey and makes it thick and creamy - perfect for making spreads, dips, or MY favorite - frozen yogurt!!

Don't throw the whey away, use it in place of plain water for cooking grains (rice, oatmeal etc) or for liquid in soups or other cooking. The water-soluble protein is in the whey, so worst case, use it to water your plants. Don't waste it down the drain.... I like to drink it too - but not at night because it makes me pee a lot and I hate to keep getting up when I've got a good snooze going, you know? Sometimes Mom freezes it into ice cubes and uses it in her breakfast blender drinks.

6 comments:

Ben & Darling said...

Oh Im gonna make mom to cook it.

Buster the Wired Fox Terror said...

I love frozen yogurt!

Bussie Kissies
Buster

Toby said...

Mmmm, I love yogurt!! Gonna get Mommy to tries these out!~ Thanks for the recipe!!!

Luv,
Tobes

Nzbyrd said...

I love your blog mate, you look like a cool dude like me, check out my blog at www.beegeethebichon.blogspot.com

Jake of Florida said...

I zeroed in on your blog Mr. Fuzzbutt because you and I have a lot in common. First of all, my name is Jake too and, if you come read one of my posts, you'll see that one of my nicknames is The Jakester. I know it's not copyrighted, so I just wanted to meet another user of a name I hold very dear. Then, as one of the Barkalot Boyz, I also see that barking means a lot to you too. Depending on your perspective, barking can be a very good thing.

And finally, Mom has been known to call me fuzzbutt if my fur starts to bloom (what we wire fox terriers cal it when we haven't been groomed in a while).

So woof fellow Jakester. If you are still blogging, come visit.

Hayden said...

wow, looks like I got some visits to make, some territory to mark!

Thanks to all who visited, I've been way too busy lately, but I'll come see you today!